Friday, July 14, 2006

Outgrowing the Pain of Childhood Sexual Abuse

Reviews on the Book, "Outgrowing the Pain" by Eliana Gil

Great beginning book for all types of childhood abuse., March 19, 2002
Reviewer: Beth Cholette "doctor_beth" (Upstate NY USA)

I'm a psychologist in a college counseling center, and I frequently recommend this book to students who are just beginning to come to terms with a history of childhood abuse, whether it be physical, sexual, emotional, or even neglect. Although the book's illustrations are somewhat juvenille, the content is excellent, and the overall impression is non-threatening. It's a short, simple, easy-to-read book that would be a great first step for anyone who is ready to begin addressing these issues.

Great Resource for Adult Survivors of Domestic Violence, January 15, 2005
Reviewer: Charleen Touchette "Author of IT STOPS WITH ME" (Santa Fe, New Mexico) -

OUTGROWING THE PAIN is a much needed book for the countless adult survivors of child abuse. Clearly written it begins with the source of so much continued pain - denial. Its list of the characteristics of the abused child will ring true immediately with any survivor. What is helpful about this book is that it offers a step by step way to identify how your painful past is prohibiting you from living the most fulfilling life you can. Survivors deny and often bury the pain from their childhoods because they think that will free them from the past, but the truth is that the only way to get over the pain is to remember and release it. OUTGROWING THE PAIN is a good tool to begin the healing process. I wish I had a resource like this when I realized I had not healed from my childhood 14 years ago. It would have saved me a few years of denying and hiding away my paintings of my childhood.

No comments: