Thursday, April 06, 2006

Byron Prior in Ottawa for Justice


I spoke to Byron in Ottawa this evening. This is what he had to say:
He arrived in the capital city on Tuesday and stopped to have lunch in a little delicatessen downtown:
“There was this little Italian elderly lady who owned the place and who sat and watched the News with me. She listened to my story and asked me for my information package. She said she would talk to people. She refused to accept anything for the meal. So kind, I tell ya.”
On Tuesday evening Byron attended a meeting downtown where the corruption in the family law system and in the civil service was discussed. There he met and spoke with Jeremy Swanson, an advocate for father’s rights and Equal Parenting in Canada.
“Jeremy has not been allowed to see his children for more than two years. Here is a man who has been very, very hurt by this crazy system. And what a gentleman, he was so helpful.”
Byron says “the guys” helped him understand etiquette on the Hill and offered him support during his stay. They told him about the Catholic Father who stood on the Hill to protest against abortion and the Falun Gong who protested for Human Rights in their own country. The Guys even took him out for a couple a beers and a great sandwich after the meeting.
On Tuesday and Wednesday Byron handed out 300 of his information leaflets where he explains the crimes that have been committed against his family and the corruption that has kept his family from access to justice for over 3 decades.
Yesterday he attended the Farmer’s Rally on Parliament Hill where more than 10,000 Canadian farmers gathered to ask Prime Minister Harper to keep his promise to help agriculture and farming in Canada.
“I spoke to a lot of the guys there. They told me their stories and I told them mine. Some of them even asked for my information and said they would help where ever they could.”
Foreign Minister Peter Mackay attended the Rally and Byron seized the opportunity to speak with him.
“He remembered me. I reminded him of the letter and my website and he said he knew who I was. He asked for my information and gave it to one of his assistants. So I expect to hear from him.”
We hope Byron does hear from Minister Mackay. Canada cannot afford to have it’s international reputation tarnished. Just imagine what it would do to the Immigration Industry if people found out about the level of corruption in government here?
I asked Byron how far he had walked today:
“Oh, about 8 to 10 miles. It was tough going with all those stairs to climb. But I did it and I’ll keep doing it. So far I’ve handed out 700 leaflets. Next week I’ll be up on the Hill handing out my letters to people and talking to them.”
We spoke about the possibility of Justice Minister Toews granting an audience to Byron:
“Yes, it is necessary. I believe that the Justice Minister understands that this corruption has to be eliminated.”
I comment that he appears to be meeting a lot of good people and making some headway in Ottawa:
“Yeah, you know, they had me dead in the water back home in Newfoundland. But, as a wise friend said, I have jumped off the Merry-Go-Round and I have brought my story to the capital.”
Indeed he has, and we wish him the best. He deserves it. So does his family and all of our families - we deserve justice and protection from organized crime.
Stay tuned because I will be bringing you more updates from Byron in Ottawa.
Lisa Haeck reporting from the Canadian Outback.

No comments: