Tuesday, April 18, 2006

Update From Byron in Ottawa - April 18, 2006


Byron wasn't in a happy mood when I called him today in Ottawa.

He was grateful to have healed from the sunburn, but upset that a bunch of kids from a high school in Newfoundland had kicked over his signs and broken them.

"They said I was embarrassing Canada. What about the embarrassment my family has had to endure these forty years?" he asked. And that is a good question.

"I don't want to be here. But I have no choice. This is what I have been forced to do so that somebody will step and do something to end the corruption in this case. I have a permit from the R.C.M.P (the Royal Canadian Mounted Police), I sit here from 9am until 3pm every day and I protest in a peaceful manner."

He said he was so disappointed by the high school kids's behaviour. I remarked that it sounded as if they had learned Bullying Tactics. Ironic that they were kids from Newfoundland.

He did say that a Hockey Team from British Columbia had come up to him and asked about his situation. "They were decent, you know. Really sad to hear about everything and they took my information as well. 'This is happening in Canada?' they asked me."

"Then there is this young lady who came out from Parliament Building and asked me if I was here because of my family. When I told her I was, she asked for my information and said that she represented a Civil Rights Group and that she would present my information to them. I also told her about Martha Jedda's book about my story and she said she would look at it."

"So, everyday there are people who are kind and supportive. And then there is always Father Van Hee who stands with me everyday."

Byron told me about two teachers from Quebec who were there with some high school kids and who could not believe the situation. They took his information as well.

"Stephen Harper is the first Canadian Prime Minister to openly stand up and say in public, "We have a corrupt government. He is the first one to admit there is organized crime in the government and he seems to be certain about taking action to get rid of it." I agreed with him on that point.

No comments: